As the Superintendent of Schools, I am writing to you today to ask for your help and support. The Eatontown Board of Education provides transportation services for eligible students both to and from school. This service is provided in order to help students arrive at school and depart from school in a safe and orderly manner. At this time in the school year, it appears that a review of bus rules is prudent.
Attached to this letter is a copy of the Code of Behavior – School Bus Students. Please review all seventeen rules with your child. These rules help the district maintain an orderly and safe bus environment for our students. These rules are not mere recommendations or suggestions. The Administrative Team of Eatontown Public Schools expects all students to adhere to these rules and standards. If one or more of these rules are violated by a student, the student may be subject to disciplinary action including but not limited to detention, bus suspension, or school suspension.
In addition to these rules, students must wear face coverings on the bus at all times.
Thank you for your attention and cooperation. I truly appreciate your support in this important matter. Together, we can all work to ensure students learn and interact in a safe and respectful atmosphere.
Scott T. McCue
Superintendent of Schools
CODE OF BEHAVIOR – SCHOOL BUS STUDENTS
- Students are to understand that the bus driver is in complete charge of the bus and that the driver is under orders to report all acts of misconduct to the Principal of the student’s school. Students will obey all orders given by the bus driver.
- Students are prohibited from smoking/vaping on the bus.
- Students must refrain from making excessive noise. Normal conversation is permissible.
- Windows must not be raised or lowered without the permission of the driver.
- Students will not throw anything from the windows of the bus nor anything on the floor of the bus.
- No students will ever put their arms or head out of the bus windows whether the bus is moving or parked.
- It is of utmost importance that students must respect private property while waiting for the bus. Severe consequences will be administered for failure to observe this rule of conduct.
- Aisles of the bus are to be kept free of all items.
- No glass containers or large objects are permitted on the bus.
- Students are prohibited from eating or drinking on the bus.
- No student is to touch the emergency door unless an emergency arises.
- Good conduct is expected while boarding the bus, while on the bus, when leaving the bus, and while walking home.
- If students must cross in front of the bus, wait for direction to do so from the driver. Walk approximately ten (10) feet in front of the bus and do not fool around.
- Be on time when getting on the bus. Keep off the road and private property while waiting. When you get inside the bus, go directly to your seat.
- Students must wear seat belts and remain seated in their assigned seats whenever the bus is in motion.
- When getting off the bus - stay seated until the bus stops and the driver gives you the signal to get off.
- After getting off the bus, move away from the bus so that the driver can continue on his way.
*The District may use videotaping systems on all vehicles to monitor student activity.