As the district and schools continue planning for a September 8th reopening, I wanted to share some information that may help us all remain a little safer and healthier in the weeks ahead.
First, on page 45 of the Eatontown Public Schools Reopening Plan, there is a protocol for high risk students listed in the plan. If you think your child may be at a higher risk for COVID-19 due to certain risk factors, please contact your child's principal and provide documentation. The school nurse and principal will review the information and determine if reasonable accommodations can be made to support your child.
Second, as a school community, we all want students and staff to learn and teach in a safe and healthy environment. Both students and staff will be screened on a daily basis when in school for COVID-19 symptoms using the Genesis Tool for Self-Monitoring of COVID-19 Symptoms. This screening tool can be completed by parents and staff using the Genesis Parent Portal system. The symptoms of COVID-19 may include:
- A fever of 100.4 F or greater
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Students or staff exhibiting one or more of these symptoms should stay home from school. We all need to work together to protect one another. More information can be found on page 49 of the Reopening Plan.
Third, students and staff must learn to make the following mitigating behaviors routine in their daily lives to the greatest extent possible:
- Students and staff must wear face coverings in school and in places where six feet of social distancing is not possible. Face covering breaks will be provided outside the school as appropriate. See pages 3 and 5 of the CDC checklist.
- Students and staff must maintain six feet of social distancing when possible and appropriate.
- Students and staff must wash hands periodically throughout the school day for at least 20 seconds. Hand sanitizer of at least 60% alcohol will be available at times when hand washing is not possible or practical.
More information can be found on pages 46 and 50 of the Reopening Plan.
Fourth, the district and schools will provide enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols as stated on pages 52 and 53 of the Reopening Plan. High tough surfaces will be addressed by custodians and cleaners before, during, and after the school day. Areas will be cleaned and disinfected routinely. The custodians and cleaners will be using a green disinfecting product called Bioesque.
Last but not least, click here to find a Back to School Planning Checklist for in-person classes created by the CDC. This checklist may help you as you begin planning for a new and different school year ahead.
Thank you for your patience and attention. As the educational leader of the district, I realize the challenges that lie ahead for our school community. However, as an educator and a parent of four children, I also understand the value of education in our children's lives. Please expect more information regarding school reopening in the future from the district as well as the schools. Stay healthy! Stay connected! Stay positive!
Scott T. McCue
Superintendent of Schools.