DUE TO THE INFLUENCE OF THE CORONAVIRUS, ALL EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND ATHLETICS, INCLUDING TRYOUTS, PRACTICES, AND GAMES, HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL SCHOOLS RE-OPEN AND A DECISION HAS BEEN MADE ABOUT WHEN THESE ACTIVITIES CAN CONTINUE.
In addition to regular classroom work, student activities should play an important role in student education at Memorial School. A wide range of after-school (extra-curricular) activities is offered for students who are interested in participating.
After school activities are geared to meet student interests. In addition to the activities listed below, additional one may be established with (a) approval of the Principal and Board of Education, (b) securing of a teacher sponsor, (c) indication of sufficient student interest. Requests for new activities should be brought to the attention of the Student Council.
Memorial Middle School offers extracurricular activities including the following:
- Art Club
- Community Service Alliance
- Drama Club
- Environmental Club
- National Junior Honor Society*
- Student Council
- Technology Club
- Yearbook Club
*National Junior Honor Society Selection Process:
The selection of members to this chapter shall be by a majority vote of the Faculty Council consisting of five faculty members appointed by the principal. The chapter adviser shall be the sixth, non-voting member, ex-officio member of the Faculty Council. All decisions of the Faculty Council are final. There will be no opportunities for reapplication.
Prior to selection, the following shall occur:
- Students’ final 7th grade academic records shall be reviewed to determine scholastic eligibility (4.0 cumulative GPA).
- Students who are eligible scholastically (“candidates”) shall be notified by mail and asked to attend a general meeting for directions about the process.
- Students will be asked to complete the Student Activity Information Form for further consideration for selection.
- The Faculty Council shall be requested to evaluate candidates determined to be scholastically eligible using the official evaluation form provided by the chapter adviser. No typed applications or other resumes will be considered. Interested students must complete the application process in their own handwriting.
- The Faculty Council shall review the Student Activity Information Form and faculty evaluations in order to determine membership. Selection to the NJHS by the Faculty Council is based upon scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship. The content, thought, and quality of the application will also be a factor. This is a highly prestigious organization with high selection standards.
The selection of new, active members shall be held once at the beginning of the each school year. Candidates will be notified of selection or non-selection by mail.
Candidates become members when inducted at a special ceremony.